Pattern Embroidery DIY

on Saturday, February 20, 2010
Hellooooo!


I spent part of last night and all of today working on some embroidery pieces to hang in Aaron and my office at the church :) The walls are depressingly bare so I told him I would make some pretty things to put on them.  I thought I would do a DIY on the pattern process since most people I know don't use it very often.


Step One:
Make pattern.  You can either draw, use Microsoft Word, or do what I did and use Adobe Illustrator.
Photobucket




Step Two:
Cut apart your pattern and pin pieces to the back of your material in your embroidery hoop.




Step Three:
Stitch through the paper pattern and your material. I put a lamp behind my hoop so I could see the outline of my pattern better, but if your material is thin enough you shouldn't need to do this in order to see through it.
Photobucket



This is what the back should look like when you're done stitching.
Photobucket





Step Three:
Remove paper pattern from underneath stitches.


Tear away excess paper from outside of pattern. The stitches perforate it in a way, so this shouldn't be too difficult. I usually hold down the stitches with one finger, and pull at the paper with the other hand, just to be sure I don't rip out any stitches with the paper.
Photobucket


If you have smaller sections within your pattern, like I did, use the point of a seam ripper to get underneath the tiny pieces and lift them out. BE CAREFUL not to slip and cut through your stitches.
Photobucket


Voila! Here are my finished products :D
Photobucket




I still need to frame the Hug piece, but I think they'll do nicely to warm up the office a little bit. Thanks for joining me!  Still looking for ideas on what to do with the clock and the matchboxes!


Keep Smiling,
Alyssa

0 comments:

Post a Comment