I was a girl scout once.

on Monday, August 2, 2010
source
One of my fondest memories of the girl scouts (and one of the most deeply ingrained brain-washings) was the motto of "Leaving a place cleaner than you found it".

This idea may be one of the reasons that I am such an OCD neat freak (thanks a lot Juliette Gordon Low) or it may be from my mother teaching me to pick up after myself.  Either way, it's an idea that came to my mind earlier this evening while Joshua and I were cleaning the kitchen.

As much as I love being married, and living with my best friend, our apartment can be frustrating.  We have done our best to make it a home, but despite our best efforts it is still small. 

 I mean really small.  

source
I remembered this idea earlier when I, nearly accidentally, cleaned up our sink to a wonderful shine.
This may not look like much to some, and I don't have a before picture, but—
holy wow is it an improvement.

I have decided to make it my personal mission to fix up this apartment as much as I can for the next nine months.  My next mission is to replace the pans beneath the burners on our stove. 


 They have most definitely seen better days.

 After that I think it will be some shelves in the nook above the toilet in our bathroom.  That room has next to no storage and is definitely near the top of my "Make this space usable/liveable list".

Alas, Rosie will have to find dwelling place elsewhere, but I think I would be willing to sacrifice her daily toiletry encouragement to have some form of storage space in our bathroom.  We have a free standing sink which = no counter space and no cabinet space.  As a girl of many hair products, this has presented me with some issues.

I will be sure to keep you updated on the improvements as they occur :)  I can't wait to get started fixing up this apartment, in a building that I love so much, for my husband and I, as well as whoever the next tenant is :)

He's quite the handy-man, so I'm sure he'll be a great help ;)
Thanks for reading!
xoxo Alyssa




0 comments:

Post a Comment